There are three stages of the contest, all of which you may influence to your advantage:
Nominations (Stage 1)
- Anyone with a valid email address and a Salt Lake County zip code can nominate an eligible organization/place for any Best of SLC™ category.
- For our 2019 contest, the nomination period is from January 24 to February 8.
- Nominations are subject to BoSLC approval to ensure the category is relevant to the nominee.
- Organizations/places that have the top nomination counts within a category (maximum 10) will advance to Stage 2.
- IMPORTANT: Once your company has been nominated, be sure to claim it!
Voting (Stage 2)
- Anyone with a valid email address and a Salt Lake County zip code can vote for a nominee.
- For our 2019 contest, the voting period is March 11 to April 4.
- To retain the most reliable results, participants are restricted to one vote per category. Participants may vote for the same company if they have been nominated in a different category.
- The top three nominees with the most votes in each category move onto Stage 3 as finalists.
- To help a nominee obtain votes, here are a couple of ideas:
- Share the voting page with your friends and family.
- Review the company on Google and Yelp. (We count votes AND reviews to determine the winners.)
Reviews (Stage 3)
- This is where the BoSLC contest shines! Rather than just a popularity contest of votes, we also consider online reviews from the previous 12 calendar months prior to April 4, 2019.
- A finalist’s overall rating and the number of 5-star reviews (averaged, if multiple locations) on Google and Yelp are counted. Basically, the higher the rating and the more 5-star reviews received, the better the chances are of winning.
- Our formula for determining the winners of each category: 5-Star Reviews x Overall Rating + Votes
What is required to enter our company in the Best of SLC™ contest?
- The published address for the company needs to be in Salt Lake County. Companies outside this area may apply for special consideration if they primarily do business within the boundaries.
- A company must have a published Google My Business profile.
How do we win the Best of SLC™ contest?
- If you get the word out to your friends, family, and customers, they’ll vote for you. We’ve provided a great selection of free and paid marketing materials to help you with this.
- Once you have made it to Stage 2, it comes down to the combination of 3 numbers… votes, online rating, and 5-star reviews. If you didn’t get the most votes, but your online reviews are spectacular, then it’s possible that you can beat out the company with the most votes. Alternatively, if you don’t have the best online reviews, but you overwhelmingly win the vote, then you still have a possibility of winning. Of course, your chances of winning are guaranteed if your votes and online reviews are the best.
How do I get notifications for the voting and results?
- First, follow us on Facebook!
- We also provide email notifications when there’s news and information to share. Just be sure that we have your email address! To sign up, click here.
How do we get in the magazine?
- All winners and finalists will be mentioned in the 2019 Best of SLC™ full-color magazine.
- If you’d like to receive more prominent exposure, consider placing an ad. Sponsors, by the way, get exclusive discounts to magazine ads. Contact us for more information.
How do we get on the website?
- Become a nominee or finalist within a category.
- Purchase banner ads to attract visibility, nominations, votes.
- Buy a Spotlight Article in the magazine and we’ll republish it to our blog on it’s own page.
How do we get 5-star reviews?
- It should go without saying, but you first have to deserve it by providing 5-star service! Happy customers are more likely to rate you with 5-stars.
- Make it easy for your happy customers to review you online without bribing them. We’ve partnered with RevenueJump to assist you with this step. Ask for their $39/mo Unlimited Plan.
What if a nominee cheats or tries to game the system?
- The integrity of the contest is of utmost importance to BoSLC, its affiliates, and its finalists and winners. Cheating will not be tolerated.
- At our sole discretion, if BoSLC determines a nominee has attempted to unethically improve its standing within the contest, or hurt another nominee’s standing in the contest, BoSLC may disqualify the nominee, or strip the finalist or winner of its title.
- If you’re not sure about the tactics you are using to get nominations, votes, or reviews, please clear it with us first!
Can our company compete in more than one category?
- Yes, you may be nominated for multiple categories as long as they are relevant (subject to BoSLC approval).
We won. Now what?
- First of all, congratulations! You know how many competitors you have in the SLC area, so take a moment and enjoy it.
- Next, use your newly-obtained credential to enhance your marketing. This includes your website, social media, building, advertising, printed materials, voicemail scripts, sales pitches, etc. To assist you along the way, we’ll email you a list of resources. Just make sure you see the email and open it to take full advantage.
Can I suggest a new category?
- Of course, we’re always open to new suggestions. Feel free to contact us. However, with dozens and dozens of categories, the most of any such contest in the SLC area, we probably have you covered.