The Best of SLC™ is designed to discover and recognize the best companies and places that Salt Lake has to offer. Are you one of them?
At Inbound Systems, we love putting on this contest and thank you for your participation and support!
How It Works
There are three stages of the contest, all of which you may influence to increase your chances of winning:
Nominations (Stage 1)
- Anyone with a valid email address and a Salt Lake County zip code can nominate an eligible organization/place for any Best of SLC™ category.
- For our 2020 contest, the nomination period is from January 20-31.
- Nominations are subject to Inbound Systems approval to ensure the category is relevant to the nominee.
- Organizations/places that have the top nomination counts within a category (maximum 10) will advance to Stage 2.
- IMPORTANT: Once your company has been nominated, be sure to claim it by May 1st! Companies that claim their nomination are given preference in the case of subjective calls such as ties between nominees.
Voting (Stage 2)
- Anyone with a valid Salt Lake County address and a mobile phone can vote for a nominee.
- For our 2020 contest, the voting period is March 16 to April 24.
- To retain the most reliable results, participants are restricted to one vote per category. Participants may vote for the same company more than once if they have been nominated in a different category.
- The top three nominees with the most votes in each category (averaged, if multiple locations) move onto Stage 3 as finalists.
- To help a nominee obtain votes, share the voting page via email, social media, radio ads, etc.
Reviews (Stage 3)
- This is where the BoSLC contest shines! Rather than just a popularity contest of votes, we also consider online reviews from the previous 12 calendar months leading up to April 24, 2020.
- A finalist’s overall rating and the number of 5-star reviews (averaged, if multiple locations) on Google and Yelp are counted. Basically, the higher the rating and the more 5-star reviews received, the better the chances are of winning.
- Our simplified formula for determining the winners of each category: 5-Star Reviews x Overall Rating + Votes
Announcing the Winners
Once the votes and reviews have been tallied, we will first announce the winners at the Best of SLC™ Awards Banquet. We’re holding the banquet on the evening of June 4th, 2020 in Salt Lake City. If you’re a finalist, be sure to get your ticket as soon as they are available! We expect to sell out very quickly. At the banquet, expect to be entertained while you enjoy a nice dinner as we announce the 2020 Best of SLC™ Winners. Only finalists who attend will receive an official Best of SLC™ certificate. It really is going to be a great time! For those who are not able to attend the banquet, we will also announce the winners here on our website the very next day.
UPDATE: Unfortunately due to Covid-19 we are unable to host the Best of SLC™ Awards Banquet since it’s an event of around 300 people in close proximity. Please stay tuned for further details!
What is required to enter our company in the Best of SLC™ contest?
- The published address for the company needs to be in Salt Lake County. Companies outside this area may apply for special consideration if they primarily do business within the boundaries.
- A company must have a published Google My Business profile.
How do we win the Best of SLC™ contest?
- If you get the word out to your friends, family, and customers, they should vote for you. We provide a great selection of free and paid marketing materials to help you with this.
- Once you have made it to Stage 2, it comes down to the combination of 3 numbers… votes, online rating, and 5-star reviews. If you didn’t get the most votes, but your online reviews are spectacular, then it’s possible that you can beat out the company with the most votes. Alternatively, if you don’t have the best online reviews, but you overwhelmingly win the vote, then you still have a possibility of winning. Of course, your chances of winning are guaranteed if your votes and online reviews are the best.
Can I pay to enter or win the Best of SLC™ contest?
- If you’ve been nominated, it’s currently free to claim your nomination. Just be sure to do so by May 1st.
- No, you cannot pay to win. Sponsoring, buying voting materials, attending the banquet, or becoming a client of Inbound Systems also does not influence the contest’s outcome.
How do I get notifications for the voting and results?
- First, follow us on Facebook!
- We also provide email notifications when there’s news and information to share. Just be sure that we have your email address! To sign up, click here.
How do we get in the magazine?
- Based on advertiser support, we anticipate publishing the 2020 Best of SLC™ full-color magazine. If you’re a winner or finalist, you’ll automatically be mentioned.
- If you’d like to receive more prominent exposure, consider placing an ad.
- Sponsors, by the way, get exclusive discounts to magazine ads. Contact us for more information.
How do we get on the website?
- Become a nominee or finalist within a category.
- Purchase banner ads to attract visibility, nominations, votes.
- Buy a Spotlight Article in the magazine and we’ll republish it to our blog on it’s own page.
How do we get 5-star reviews?
- It should go without saying, but you first have to deserve it by providing 5-star service! Happy customers are more likely to rate you with 5-stars.
- Make it easy for your happy customers to review you online without bribing them. We’ve partnered with RevenueJump to assist you with this step. Ask for their free trial.
What if a nominee cheats or tries to game the system?
- The integrity of the contest is of utmost importance to Inbound Systems, its affiliates, and its finalists and winners. Cheating will not be tolerated.
- At our sole discretion, if we determine a nominee has attempted to unethically improve its standing within the contest, or hurt another nominee’s standing in the contest, we may disqualify the nominee, or strip the finalist or winner of its title.
- If you’re not sure about the tactics you are using to get nominations, votes, or reviews, please clear it with us first!
Can our company compete in more than one category?
- Yes, you may be nominated for multiple categories as long as they are relevant (subject to BoSLC approval).
We won. Now what?
- First of all, congratulations! You know how many competitors you have in the SLC area, so take a moment and enjoy it.
- Next, use your newly-obtained credential to enhance your marketing. This includes your website, social media, building, advertising, printed materials, voicemail scripts, sales pitches, etc. To assist you along the way, we’ll email you a list of resources. Just make sure you see the email and open it to take full advantage.
Can I suggest a new category?
- Of course, we’re always open to new suggestions. Feel free to contact us. However, with dozens and dozens of categories, the most of any such contest in the SLC area, we probably have you covered.
NOTE: We reserve the right to update and/or clarify these guidelines at our own discretion. Although we don’t plan on doing so, check back for updates.